7 Considerations in Hypnosis Training
Here at the Florida Institute of Hypnotherapy (FIH) we are asked almost every day about Florida Hypnosis Law, what the proper credentials are and how much training is required to become a Hypnotherapist. These are the most important answers to these questions. Below, you will find an email address, 800# and contact form so you can ask us any other questions you may have about getting a proper education in this field of Hypnotherapy.
1. Hypnotherapy is an Occupation according to the US Deparment of Labor's Dictionary of Occupational Titles. This implies that each State will have educational regulations about who can teach it as an occupation where certifications and diplomas are awarded.
2. Becuase of the above point each State requires that schools offering diplomas/certificates (same term in Florida) in an occupation must be licensed by their respective State's Department of Education. FIH is licensed by the Florida Department of Education to offer legitimate diplomas in Hypnotherapy, Clinical Hypnotherapy and Transpersonal Hypnotherapy. School's that are not licensed are not offering legitimate diplomas and are operating under the radar of the law.
FLORIDA HYPNOSIS LAW
3. It is legal to practice Hypnotherapy in Florida as a Certified Hypnotherapist. Our school is licensed to give out these credentials. However, Florida Hypnosis Law requires that anyone who practices hypnosis operates within the scope of their training. You do not have to be a physician to practice hypnosis, yet you want to be sure you are well-trained in law, ethics and proper practice management. This is true of any profession. For more informatin on Florida Hypnosis Law visit our Blog entry at: http://tfioh.net/florida-hypnosis-law/
4. You will also want to be sure to receive your credentials from a respected credentialing body. Some are new, some are just individuals and some are simply corporations that give you a certificate, but do not require that their schools are State-Licensed and they usually require a minimum number of hours of training - usually 60 to 150. The International Association of Interpersonal Hypnotherapists Certifies our Hypnotherapy School and its graduates. They require 300 hours to become a Certified Hypnotherapist. FIH offers 400 State-Licensed hours to get to this point and 500 hours to complete the entire training.
NUMBER OF HOURS
5. "So how many hours do I need to learn hypnosis?" The better question is, "What are the highest standards of training in the country and how do I acheive those?" Indiana Hypnosis Law has some of the highest standards for the regulation of the practice of hypnotism in the country. They require 500 hours of training. Here at the Florida Institute of Hypnotherapy we offer over 500 hours of training to ensure we are on par with those highest standards. Be sure to look for a minimum of 300 as per IAIH requirements. Our certifications occur at 300, 400 and 500 hours - with introductory trainings beginning at 20 hours for those still "feeling things out".
6. The quality of your education is important. Therefore, once you know you have found a State-Licensed school offering legitimate certifications from an organization that maintains very high standards, such as the International Association of Interpersonal Hypnotherapists (IAIH), and where you can get at least 300 hours of hypnosis training, then check out the school's catalog. Review their curriculum. Be sure they have a catalog that has been scrutunuzed by the State and by the IAIH and be sure it covers everything you would want to learn. The education should be up-to-date with the most modern methods of hypnosis as well as a solid foundation in Classical and Clinical Hypnotherapy Training.
PRACTICE BUILDING AND POST-GRADUATE SUPPORT
7. A school should not only prepare you in the skills of your profession, yet it should also prepare you for creating your own business. Our Hypnotherapy Training offers in depth business management skills, advanced advertising and marketing skills and ample post-graduate support to help you to establish a career in hypnotherapy and to be part of a community of graduates, associates, advisors and mentors to work with as you move out on your own - as your own boss, running your own business and engaging in a truly rewarding and meaningful career.
In the end listen to your heart and listen to your head. There are many wonderful people out there offering training in hypnosis and most are genuinely working to be of service and to help others. They will speak to your heart because Hypnotherapy is about helping others to heal and this is the beauty of our profession. Also be sure to listen to your head - school's that offer certifications must be State-Licensed and they should be certified by a credentialing body that meets the highest industry standards. A combination of "the spirit of hypnosis" combined with very high educational, ethical and licensing standards is certainly a good place to start...
For further questions or for more information email us at: email@example.com or call (800) 551-9247 or fill out the form below to speak with an Admissions Representative.